Saturday 10 February 2018

Book Review: Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

Book: Spellbook of the Lost and Found
Author: Moïra Fowley-Doyle
Genres: YA, LGBT, Mystery, Magical Realism
One stormy Irish summer night, Olive and her best friend, Rose, begin to lose things. It starts with simple items like hairclips and jewelry, but soon it's clear that Rose has lost something much bigger, something she won't talk about, and Olive thinks her best friend is slipping away. 
Then seductive diary pages written by a girl named Laurel begin to appear all over town. And Olive meets three mysterious strangers: Ivy, Hazel, and her twin brother, Rowan, secretly squatting in an abandoned housing estate. The trio are wild and alluring, but they seem lost too—and like Rose, they're holding tight to painful secrets.
When they discover the spellbook, it changes everything. Damp, tattered and ancient, it's full of hand-inked charms to conjure back things that have been lost. And it just might be their chance to find what they each need to set everything back to rights.
Unless it's leading them toward things that were never meant to be found... ~ Quoted from Goodreads

My Rating: 5/5 STARS

My Review:
I didn't expect Spellbook of the Lost and Found to be as captivating to read as it was, I loved this book.  Spellbook of the Lost and Found is a hard book to describe without spoiling it.  It's told from three different points of view and it's centred on a mysterious spellbook that shows up suddenly.

The plot is very mysterious and really keeps you wondering and questioning throughout the book.  I liked the pace of the story, it starts off very simple but really builds up to become this complex entwined story.

I loved that the setting of this book is Ireland, which is where I live.  It made me feel so much more connected to the story and characters.

Since the book is told from three different points of view and each point of view introduced other characters, I thought I might get confused and have trouble differentiating between all the characters but I found it pretty easy to remember each one and I thought all the characters personalities really stood out.  

I loved the friendships in Spellbook of the Lost and Found, they felt real and I loved how friendship was one of the main themes of this book.

The writing of Spellbook of the Lost and Found was another thing I loved about it.  I really loved the poetic descriptiveness of it.  The writing has such a rich, magical quality to it that went really well with the overall story.  It's a writing style that leaves a lasting impression on you and makes you want to seek out more books by the same author.

Overall it's a beautiful book about losing and finding yourself, ever growing friendships and has a great plot that is so full of mystery that it makes you just want to keep reading and reading.  I thought Spellbook of the Lost and Found had great diverse characters and I would highly recommend reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment