Monday 27 August 2018

Book Review: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Book: A Sky Painted Gold
Author: Laura Wood
Genre: YA Historical, Romance

Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. 

But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the heart of the Cardew family?

My Rating: 4/5 STARS

My Review:
A Sky Painted Gold is set in 1929 and centres on Lou who dreams of having a more adventurous life than the one she currently lives in her remote town in Cornwall.  A rich well known family moves into a house on the island across from her town and invites her to their lavish parties and she starts to think her adventurous life has begun.

I hadn't heard much about this book before reading it but when I read the blurb it really drew me in and I knew I definitely wanted to read it.  I thought this book was such an enjoyable read that really took me by surprise.

I loved the writing within A Sky Painted Gold.  It flowed so well that the descriptions throughout the book felt so real.  The writing had such a remarkable quality to it that really made the characters and the story feel more vivid.

I liked Lou and I loved that she was a writer and how much she loved telling her own stories.  I also loved the family dynamic in this book especially the way the book centred on Lou and her sister, Alice, and how the change in their relationship began once Alice left the family home to get married.  I don't think I've read such an emphasis on that part of a sister relationship in a book before which is surprising since I think a lot of people with siblings would be interested in it and find it relatable.

I liked reading about Lou's experiences with the Cardews and her new friendships with them and the other characters and I liked the mystery aspect of their family.

Overall I think A Sky Painted Gold is a beautifully written historical with a great emphasis on family and friends.  I'm glad I read A Sky Painted Gold and I would really recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment