Saturday 29 September 2018

Book Review: Reign of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles #2) by Helen Scheuerer

Book: Reign of Mist
Series: The Oremere Chronicles book 2
Author: Helen Scheuerer
Genre: YA Fantasy
The realm’s darkest secret is out. 
The cruelty of the capital and the power-hungry King Arden have scattered Bleak and her companions across the continents. 
On the run in a foreign land, Bleak finds herself tied to some unexpected strangers. When the answers she yearns for are finally within reach, she must face the hard truths of her past, and take her fate into her own hands before it’s too late. 
Meanwhile, secrets and magic unravel as a dark power corrupts the realm. Bleak’s friends are forced to decide where their loyalties lie, and who, if anyone, they can trust. 
But one thing is certain: war is coming, and they must all be ready when it does.


My Rating: 5/5 STARS

My Review:
I loved Heart of Mist so I had high expectations for Reign of Mist and it still surpassed them, Reign of Mist was amazing.

Reign of Mist picks up exactly where Heart of Mist leaves off.  Bleak ends up washing up on the shores of Oremere, half dead and fighting for her life while a mysterious stranger looks on.  After escaping the King's castle Henri starts a journey to a potential ally for her Valian and Swinton is guarding princess Olena.

This book (like Heart of Mist) never failed to surprise me.  The characters grew so much from the first book especially Bleak.  In Reign of Mist she really grew into herself and became more confident and it was done in such a natural way.  Her character progression from Heart of Mist to who she was at the end of Reign of Mist was an exciting journey to witness.  We also see more sides to Henri in this book, we get to see a softer side to her and find out what brings that out.  I was also surprised that some characters showed more of a darker side to them in Reign of Mist.  

A lot of new characters were introduced and I liked how each one added to the story and had their own background with different characters.  They were all interesting in their own way and I'm excited to read more about them.  There were also some animals added to the story and I liked how important they were.  I loved reading about Bleak and Rion, a teerah panther, and the close bond they had.

The storyline was even more epic than the first and there were a lot of twists that happened.  The story was action packed and I really liked the pacing of the book.  I loved the descriptive writing and how the new places the characters went to were described.

Overall I loved Reign of Mist, it was an amazing sequel to Heart of Mist.  The character journeys and the epic story made me wish the book didn't end.  If you loved the first book, you'll definitely love this one.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series but it sounds right up my alley! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great fantasy series, I'd really recommend it. Thanks!

      Delete