Monday 5 November 2018

Book Review: Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai #1) by Tiana Warner

Book: Ice Massacre
Series: Mermaids of Eriana Kwai book 1 
Author: Tiana Warner
Genre: YA Fantasy/Paranormal


A mermaid’s supernatural beauty serves one purpose: to lure a sailor to his death. 
The Massacre is supposed to bring peace to Eriana Kwai. Every year, the island sends its warriors to battle these hostile sea demons. Every year, the warriors fail to return. Desperate for survival, the island must decide on a new strategy. Now, the fate of Eriana Kwai lies in the hands of twenty battle-trained girls and their resistance to a mermaid’s allure. 
Eighteen-year-old Meela has already lost her brother to the Massacre, and she has lived with a secret that’s haunted her since childhood. For any hope of survival, she must overcome the demons of her past and become a ruthless mermaid killer. 
For the first time, Eriana Kwai’s Massacre warriors are female, and Meela must fight for her people’s freedom on the Pacific Ocean’s deadliest battleground.


My Rating: 4 STARS

My Review:
Ice Massacre was a surprising read.  I hadn't heard many people talk of it but this year I've found myself drawn to a lot of mermaid/siren stories and so when I stumbled upon the blurb of this book I knew I wanted to read it.

Ice Massacre is set on an island called Eriana that has been at war with mermaids for years.  Each year the islanders send twenty boys out to fight against the mermaids but at the start of the book they've decided to change their strategy and send twenty girls out to fight instead since they are immune to the mermaids allure.

I liked the beginning of the book and I liked how the book flashed back to show you the history of the main character, Meela, and how she came to be where she was in the present.  I liked reading about the beginning of her friendship with Lysi.  I liked all of this but I felt more excited at around 30% way through the book, this is where things really ramped up for me.  This is where the girls sail away on their 'massacre'.

I liked the characters.  There are around twenty girls that depart on the ship including Meela and at first I thought that because there were so many I wouldn't be able to remember or even care about any of them but I was very surprised because I ended up growing attached to a lot of the characters.  I really liked the friendships between the characters on the ship and how they got tested as the book went on.

I felt the last half of the book was very thrilling and interesting.  We find out more about the mermaids and the way they run their society.

Overall I thought Ice Massacre was really exciting and the hostilities between the islanders and the mermaids were very interesting to read about.  The characters were great and I'm excited to see what happens in the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment