Monday 10 December 2018

Book Review: Mirage (Mirage #1) by Somaiya Daud

Book: Mirage
Series: Mirage book 1
Author: Somaiya Daud
Genre: YA fantasy, sci-fi
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire, eighteen-year-old Amani is a dreamer. She dreams of what life was like before the occupation; she dreams of writing poetry like the old-world poems she adores; she dreams of receiving a sign from Dihya that one day, she, too, will have adventure, and travel beyond her isolated moon. 
But when adventure comes for Amani, it is not what she expects: she is kidnapped by the regime and taken in secret to the royal palace, where she discovers that she is nearly identical to the cruel half-Vathek Princess Maram. The princess is so hated by her conquered people that she requires a body double, someone to appear in public as Maram, ready to die in her place. 
As Amani is forced into her new role, she can’t help but enjoy the palace’s beauty—and her time with the princess’ fiancĂ©, Idris. But the glitter of the royal court belies a world of violence and fear. If Amani ever wishes to see her family again, she must play the princess to perfection...because one wrong move could lead to her death.

My Rating: 4 STARS

My Review:
I liked how Mirage blended the genres of both fantasy and sci-fi together, this was one of the main things I liked about the book.  I found it really interesting how things were described with both fantastical and futuristic elements, it made such an intriguing read.

The world building was also very interesting, although it did feel a bit overwhelming at the beginning with the new terms to understand but I began to appreciate the complex world building a lot more near the end of the book.  

The writing was another thing I really liked about Mirage.  It flowed really well and kept me captivated by the story.  I liked the overall storyline of Mirage, I was fully into the story by the end of the first few chapters and really wanted to know what was going to happen next.  I loved the political intrigue in the story and I liked how Amani (the mc) dealt with being thrown into the thick of it.

The characters were all interesting and I liked their interactions with each other.  Especially the interactions between Amani and Maram, their relationship with each other is very up and down and I liked how complicated it was.  A lot of the characters were very complex and it made them fascinating to read about.

Overall I really enjoyed Mirage.  I liked the writing and how the world was described.  The characters and storyline were captivating to read and I'm excited to see where the next book goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment