Monday 11 February 2019

Book Review: Enchantée by Gita Trelease

Book: Enchantée
Author: Gita Trelease
Genre: YA historical fantasy
Edition: ARC/uncorrected proof
Published: 21st February 2019


{I was sent an ARC/Proof of this book by the publisher but all thoughts and opinions are my own}


Paris in 1789 is a labyrinth of twisted streets, filled with beggars, thieves, revolutionaries – and magicians . . . 
When smallpox kills her parents, seventeen-year-old Camille is left to provide for her frail sister and her volatile brother. In desperation, she survives by using the petty magic she learnt from her mother. But when her brother disappears Camille decides to pursue a richer, more dangerous mark: the glittering court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. 
Using dark magic Camille transforms herself into the ‘Baroness de la Fontaine‘ and presents herself at the court of Versaille, where she soon finds herself swept up in a dizzying life of riches, finery and suitors. But Camille’s resentment of the rich is at odds with the allure of their glamour and excess, and she soon discovers that she’s not the only one leading a double life . . .

My Rating: 4 STARS

My Review:
Enchantée is a wonderful magical historical and I really enjoyed reading it.  The descriptions of the time period, from the scenery and places to the fashion and makeup, were so mesmerising to read and the writing made it so easy to imagine 1789 Paris.

I thought the characters were interesting and I especially liked the friendships that Camille made throughout the book.  I liked reading about her group of friends and wanted to read more about them.  I loved Chandon's character the most and loved reading about their friendship together.

The way the magic was described and how it worked was very exciting and I liked how Camille began to find out more about magic and the history of it as the book went on and I liked how the book entwined the magical elements with events in history.

One of the main themes of Enchantée is about the differences between common people and aristocrats and I really liked that part of the story and found myself fascinated by Camille's double life she was leading as she struggled to find where she fit in amongst both crowds and how torn she felt between the two.  I did sometimes find Camille to be very naive in her decision making but I liked how she took care of her sister.

Card games and gambling were another theme in this book and a lot of the storyline was referenced like a part of a game and I thought that made the story even more intriguing.

Overall I really liked Enchantée.  The descriptions of the time period and setting really stand out and the storyline kept me hooked.  The characters and themes of the book were very interesting to read.  It's a wonderfully described magical historical and I was definitely enchanted by Enchantée.

No comments:

Post a Comment