Friday 21 April 2017

Eight Standalone Books I Think More People Should Know About

I wanted to talk about some standalones that I feel should be more well known.  Some of the books on this list have very popular Goodreads ratings so they're not necessarily unknown books but this is just a list of books that I feel I haven't heard many people talk about so I decided to do a post and talk about why I like them.

  
The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood - This was a book I read last year and I was very surprised by it, I thought the story and the direction the book went in was really interesting. 



Stolen by Lucy Christopher - This story is told in the format of a letter from the main character to her kidnapper and because of that it was a really intense read. 



Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard - I read this book at the start of this year and I really liked it.  It was such a refreshing read being a YA contemporary with no romance in it.



Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick - I really enjoyed this book and I liked how the story was written.  Marcus Sedgwick has a great way with storytelling in his books.



The History of Love by Nicole Krauss - I loved this book and I really want to reread it sometime.  I first heard about this book on Instagram and I'd never heard of it before then despite it having a lot of ratings on Goodreads.  I'd highly recommend reading this book because it's such a beautifully told story.



Solanin by Inio Asano - This is a manga about a young woman who has just left college and is trying to decide what she wants to do with her life.  I loved this book and found it to be really relatable.  This is another book I'd highly recommend reading.



What If by Rebecca Donovan - I've read a few of Rebecca Donovan's books and I've found her writing to have a lot of emotion in it.  I thought this story had a lot more depth to it than I first thought. 



The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater - I read this book years ago and really loved it.  And I know a lot of people know of this book already because Maggie Steifvater is a popular author but I feel this is one of her least talked about works and it's also my favourite book by her.




So like I said before I know some of these books are very well known but I just feel that I haven't seen much about them around.  

Have you read any of these books? And what are some standalones you feel need more attention?


No comments:

Post a Comment