Friday 4 May 2018

Friday Book Excerpts: The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven

Today I'll be sharing some book excerpts with these bookish features:

Book Beginnings is a weekly feature (hosted by Rose City Reader) where you post the first sentence of the book you're currently reading. 
➣ The Friday 56 is a weekly feature (hosted by Freda's Voice) where you get a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on ereader) then post an interesting sentence from that page with no spoilers. 


The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven

Blurb:
Izzy O'Neill here! Impoverished orphan, aspiring comedian and Slut Extraordinaire, if the gossip sites are anything to go by . . . 
Izzy never expected to be eighteen and internationally reviled. But when explicit photos involving her, a politician's son and a garden bench are published online, the trolls set out to take her apart. Armed with best friend Ajita and a metric ton of nachos, she tries to laugh it off - but as the daily slut-shaming intensifies, she soon learns the way the world treats teenage girls is not okay. It's the Exact Opposite of Okay.

Beginning:
Look, you probably bought this book because you read the blurb about how I'm an impoverished orphan and also at the heart of a national slut-shaming scandal, and you thought, Oh great, this is just the kind of heart-wrenching tale I need to feel better about my own life, but seriously, you have to relax.  I am not some pitiful Oliver-Twist-meets-Kim-Kardashian-type figure.  If you're seeking a nice cathartic cry, I'm not your girl.


The Friday 56 (56 % on my ereader):
Maybe it's because it perpetuates that uncomfortable sensation of being watched and judged by a faceless entity.


My Thoughts:
I was intrigued by the first line of this book because it opens up with the main character speaking directly to the reader which really drew me into the story.  I'm still currently reading this book and I have to say so far I'm really loving it and think it will be one of my favourite books of the year.  
  

Have you read The Exact Opposite of Okay? What do you think of the excerpts from it?

2 comments: