Friday 6 July 2018

Book Review: I Was Born For This by Alice Oseman

Book: I Was Born for This
Author: Alice Oseman
Genre: YA, Contemporary, LGBT+

For Angel Rahimi, life is only about one thing: The Ark – a pop-rock trio of teenage boys who are currently taking the world by storm. Being part of The Ark’s fandom has given her everything – her friendships, her dreams, her place in the world. 
Jimmy Kaga-Ricci owes everything to The Ark too. He’s their frontman – and playing in a band is all he’s ever dreamed of doing. It’s just a shame that recently everything in his life seems to have turned into a bit of a nightmare. 
Because that’s the problem with dreaming – eventually, inevitably, real life arrives with a wake-up call. And when Angel and Jimmy are unexpectedly thrust together, they will discover just how strange and surprising facing up to reality can be.

My Rating: 5/5 STARS

My Review:
I Was Born for This is about Angel who is a fan of a boy band called The Ark and Jimmy who is the leader of The Ark.  It's about the tumultuous times of both these characters who lead very opposite lives.

Before reading this book I was never interested in reading about a boy band, in fact whenever a blurb mentioned a boy band I almost always decided not to pick up the book.  So the main reason I went against my previous views and picked up this book was because I had read and enjoyed Radio Silence by Alice Oseman and I really wanted to pick up another of her books.

And I'm so glad I did, I Was Born for This was amazing.  I loved it so much and I think that was because I found it so relatable.  I love kpop and to read about a character being as obsessed with a group like I am was so exciting for me to read.

I liked how the author wrote this book.  You get both the points of view of Angel and Jimmy.  You get Angel's side of the story which is about her having so much love and dedication for this band and despite people thinking it's just a shallow obsession you really get to see how much The Ark mean to her on a deep personal level.  Then you get Jimmy's pov which is about the cost of fame and the anxiety and paranoia that comes with it.  I loved these characters, the author writes them so well and in such a way that makes them feel so real.  I also loved the other characters in the book especially Lister.  I loved reading about him and seeing his interactions with Jimmy, I wish I could read more about them.  I liked Juliet and how her and Angel's friendship started with them being online friends.

Overall I loved I Was Born for This, it's a great story about fandom and passion that is full of diverse characters.  It is so well written and I would really recommend reading it especially if you have been/are a fan of something.     

4 comments:

  1. I haven't yet read this - I want to tackle Radio Silence by Alice Oseman first, but I'm super-excited for it! And wow, your review made me all the more pumped to get this. Great review!! :)

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Radio Silence is a great book too, I hope you like it. :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh this one looks good! I haven't heard of it, so thanks for introducing me to it!

    ReplyDelete