Wednesday 17 April 2019

Book Review: The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air #2) by Holly Black

Book: The Wicked King
Series: The Folk of the Air book 2
Author: Holly Black
Genre: YA fantasy


Jude has tricked Cardan onto the throne, binding him to her for a year and a day. But the new High King does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her, even as his fascination with her remains undimmed. 
Meanwhile, a traitor in the court is scheming against her. Jude must fight for her life and the lives of those she loves, all while battling her own complicated feelings for Cardan. Now a year and a day seems like no time at all . . . 


My Rating: 3 STARS

My Review:
I read The Cruel Prince last year and liked it a lot so when I heard people saying The Wicked King was even better I was very excited for it.  I did like the writing of The Wicked King a lot, it was very easy to get immersed into the story again which made the book a very quick read but I was disappointed by it.

I didn't feel attached to any of the characters.  There have been a few books where I disliked the characters but still loved the book but I feel that there needs to be a connection or an understanding of a character and I really don't feel that with this series.

I also felt that none of the relationships developed much in this book.  I was expecting some kind of talk or discussion between Jude and Taryn but nothing really happened.  Also Madoc was barely in this book so there wasn't much focus on his fatherly relationship with Jude.  

Even though I felt like nothing much happened I still found the story entertaining to read and the plot twists were very surprising which kept me intrigued in the story.

Overall I didn't like this book as much as the first.  I felt that there was a lack of development with the overall storyline and character relationships but I thought it was an entertaining read with good writing and it did have some very interesting plot twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment