Monday 29 April 2019

Book Review: Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) by Jay Kristoff

Book: Nevernight
Series: The Nevernight Chronicle book 1
Author: Jay Kristoff
Genre: Adult fantasy

Mia Covere is only ten years old when she is given her first lesson in death. 
Destined to destroy empires, the child raised in shadows made a promise on the day she lost everything: to avenge herself on those that shattered her world. 
But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, and Mia must become a weapon without equal. Before she seeks vengeance, she must seek training among the infamous assassins of the Red Church of Itreya. 
Inside the Church's halls, Mia must prove herself against the deadliest of opponents and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and demons at the heart of a murder cult. 
The Church is no ordinary school, but Mia is no ordinary student.


My Rating: 4 STARS

My Review:
I enjoyed Nevernight immensely.  I already knew before reading that it takes a while to get into the book and I'm glad I knew that before reading.  It definitely takes a while before getting into the story but that's understandable since it is an adult fantasy, but after the first 100 pages I was very captivated by the story.

I was surprised that the majority of this book takes place in a school/academy, I wasn't really expecting that but I ended up loving that part of it.

Nevernight is definitely a book that centres on one characters journey and that is Mia.  I loved reading about Mia and her learning all these new skills and honing her old ones.  And I loved reading about her relationships with the other students.  Her abilities as Darkin are still so mysterious that it makes me really interested in where the storyline is going to go with that.  Mister Kindly is an interesting companion, I liked his sarcastic interactions with Mia.

Nevernight has a lot of twists and turns that always leave you hooked and the storyline is fascinating because it doesn't go where you expect it to.

Overall I think Nevernight is a great fantasy.  The characters were very interesting especially Mia and her story is very intriguing.  When I got to the last page I just wanted to keep reading.  If you're a fantasy reader I would recommend you don't miss out on Nevernight.

No comments:

Post a Comment