Monday 10 June 2019

Book Review: Wildcard (Warcross #2) by Marie Lu

Book: Wildcard
Series: Warcross book 2
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: YA Sci-fi


Emika Chen barely made it out of the Warcross Championships alive. Now that she knows the truth behind Hideo's new NeuroLink algorithm, she can no longer trust the one person she's always looked up to, who she once thought was on her side. 
Determined to put a stop to Hideo's grim plans, Emika and the Phoenix Riders band together, only to find a new threat lurking on the neon-lit streets of Tokyo. Someone's put a bounty on Emika's head, and her sole chance for survival lies with Zero and the Blackcoats, his ruthless crew. But Emika soon learns that Zero isn't all that he seems--and his protection comes at a price. 
Caught in a web of betrayal, with the future of free will at risk, just how far will Emika go to take down the man she loves?


My Rating: 4 STARS

My Review:
Even though I enjoyed Warcross I was put off reading Wildcard because I had heard a lot of mixed reviews about it but I ended up loving this book and I liked it even more than the first one.

I thought the story in Wildcard was very exciting and it really felt like the stakes were raised.  I loved being inside this world again, it is so interesting to read and very easy to imagine. 

I felt even more attached to the characters and I liked how the back stories were explained.  I liked finding out the characters motivations behind everything and I thought there were some really interesting twists in this book that surprised me.  I'm still not a fan of the romance in these books but I felt there was a lot more to the story than that so I didn't mind it that much.

Everything felt more emotional, from the characters to the overall storyline.  Maybe it was because we've already been introduced to the world but I felt more connected to the world in Wildcard and I thought the imagery of the world was fantastic.  

Overall I thought this was a great conclusion to the Warcross duology.  Even though I liked Warcross I felt so much more emotionally invested in Wildcard and I liked reading the characters back stories and thought there was some interesting twists.  I've read Marie Lu's previous series' and I loved how she ended them and I feel the same way about Wildcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment