Thursday 1 August 2019

July Wrap Up 2019

What I Read:


The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare book 1) by Lauren DeStefano - 4 STARS
I enjoyed this book a lot and I liked the family interactions, it was a fast paced YA fantasy and I'm glad I read it.

The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare book 2) by Lauren DeStefano - 4 STARS
I went straight onto this book after finishing the first and I liked this just as much.  I liked how the mystery of the family curse was explained and I thought this was a great conclusion to the duology.

Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno - 2 STARS
I liked the beginning of this book, it builds up this mysterious magical island and family very well and at the beginning I thought this could end up being a 5 STAR read but then things started to go downhill.  I didn't find any of the characters that interesting and as the plot went on I found things to be very predictable, some of the main mysteries in this book were easily guessed. (spoilers and content warning ahead) This book deals with the topic of rape and I didn't like how that became one of the mysteries in this book.  This is only my opinion and I know many people loved it so I'd recommend reading more reviews of it.

Polaris Rising (The Consortium Rebellion book 1) by Jessie Mihalik - 4 STARS
I liked this book and found the characters and the space politics interesting.  This is a great sci-fi/romance book with intriguing world building.


Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire book 1) by Natasha Ngan - 4 STARS
I've wanted to read this book since it was released but because of the subject matter of the book I was hesitant.  This book deals with topics of rape and sexual abuse so that makes it a very hard read so I can't say this was an enjoyable read but I did like the writing.  

Under A Dancing Star by Laura Wood - 5 STARS
I loved this book a lot.  The main reason I picked this book up was because I liked the authors other book, A Sky Painted Gold, and thought I would like this and I was right.  This book takes place in the 1930s and is about a girl trying to find her place in the world even if it seems like it's already been decided for her.  I would highly recommend reading this and I'll be doing a full review of it soon.

Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle book 1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - 3 STARS 
I was disappointed in this book.  It was an okay read but I didn't like the characters and although the plot was action packed I still felt like nothing really happened in it.  I liked the ending and it did get exciting in the run up to the ending.


Blog Posts I Did In July:



My July Bookstagram pictures (xo_reader_kyla):



I read so many books in July and that was mainly because I participated in the Reading Rush readathon which was a lot of fun.  I didn't get to all of the books on my Reading Rush TBR but I'm happy with the amount of things I read.  What did you read in July?

No comments:

Post a Comment