Tuesday 30 July 2019

Disappointing Sequels and Series Endings


I've read a lot of book series over the years and there have been many a sequel and conclusion that I loved but today on my blog I thought I'd list some of the book sequels/conclusions that have disappointed me. I have loved nearly all the first books in these series but I really feel that a lot of the sequels and endings on this list were not needed and were not as good as previous books in the series.  I've also linked this post up with this week's Top Ten Tuesday (a weekly feature hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl) topic since this week's topic was: freebie.


Allegiant (Divergent book 3) by Veronica Roth
Up from the Grave (Night Huntress book 7) b Jeaniene Frost
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows book 2) by Leigh Bardugo
Vengeful (Vicious book 2) by V.E. Schwab


Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers book 3) by Becky Chambers
Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things book 2) by Sara Barnard
The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air book 2) by Holly Black
The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer book 3) by Michelle Hodkin

What book sequels/conclusions were you disappointed in?

10 comments:

  1. I almost never read sequels for that very reason. I am sorry to hear that Wayfarers book 3 and that Folk of the Air book 2 are disappointing. Those are two books I had considered reading.

    I wrote about my favorite stories that are about both food and Paris. I'd love to have you stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sequels can be really disappointing sometimes. Your topic sounds interesting!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, good topic! I hadn't heard that the Divergent series ended on such a disappointing note.

    I was disappointed with the last two books in Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series. Essentially, the first four books consistently foreshadowed really interesting plot developments that were then completely ignored in the end.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an interesting topic, wish I had thought of it (I'll keep in it mind for a future freebie!) I completely agree about Allegiant, it would make my list too. I actually liked The Wicked King though, but I can easily see why others wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allegiant was definitely a let down, and even though I was disappointed in The Wicked King I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who was disappointed with Crooked Kingdom. I did like some aspects of it but I won't deny the fact that I didn't like it as much. Same goes for Allegiant. That even affected my love for the trilogy considering how Divergent used to be one of my favorite dystopian reads. Sadly.

    - Chai @ Like Chai Tea // My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Six of Crows and Divergent would've been better off as standalones!

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOSH, I completely agree with Allegiant. I feel like that is the ultimate letdown for a lot of the series that I've loved through the years. In theory I can see *why* it ended the way it did but honestly it's still a sore spot when it comes down to it for me! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Allegiant was definitely a letdown for so many people!

      Delete