Friday 28 September 2018

Friday Excerpts: Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

Today I'll be sharing some book excerpts with these bookish features:
➢ Book Beginnings is a weekly feature (hosted by Rose City Reader) where you post the first sentence of the book you're currently reading. 
➢ The Friday 56 is a weekly feature (hosted by Freda's Voice) where you get a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on ereader) then post a interesting sentence from that page with no spoilers. 


Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children book 3) by Seanan McGuire



Blurb:

Beneath the Sugar Sky, the third book in McGuire's Wayward Children series, returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children in a standalone contemporary fantasy for fans of all ages. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world. 
When Rini lands with a literal splash in the pond behind Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children, the last thing she expects to find is that her mother, Sumi, died years before Rini was even conceived. But Rini can’t let Reality get in the way of her quest – not when she has an entire world to save! (Much more common than one would suppose.) 
If she can't find a way to restore her mother, Rini will have more than a world to save: she will never have been born in the first place. And in a world without magic, she doesn’t have long before Reality notices her existence and washes her away. Good thing the student body is well-acquainted with quests... 
A tale of friendship, baking, and derring-do.



Beginning:
Children have always tumbled down rabbit holes, fallen through mirrors, been swept away by unseasonal floods or carried off by tornadoes.  Children have always traveled, and because they are young and bright and full of contradictions, they haven't always restricted their travel to the possible.


Friday 56 (5-6% on my ereader):
Maybe here, though...maybe here she could be.  Maybe here she was allowed.  Everyone else was fighting toward their own sense of safety, of beauty, of belonging.  Maybe she could do that, too.


My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series and I've only just started this one which was why I chose my Friday 56 line from 5 to 6 percent way through the book instead on 56 percent through.  I've heard that this is a lot of people's least favourite is the series so I've lowered my expectations of it but I'm still excited to read it.


Have you read Beneath the Sugar Sky? 
What are your thoughts on the quotes from it? 

16 comments:

  1. I am quite taken by the first quote about children. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love both the 56 and beginning. I need to read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to begin this series. I have the first one on my Kindle waiting until I can fit it onto my calendar. I love the beginning. This week I am featuring the latest in a long-running science fiction space opera - Uncompromising Honor by David Weber. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like the series, it has such an intriguing concept.

      Delete
  4. This sounds fantastic!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at Seanan McGuire. I have only read two of her books, both of which I loved. I want to read all her books now. This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like her writing and definitely want to check out more books by her in the future.

      Delete
  6. This seems like Science Fiction or Fantasy? I like the opening. It's thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantasy. I love the beginning as well and definitely agree with it being thought provoking.

      Delete
  7. I don't read a tremendous amount of fantasy, but it sounds kind kine of interesting. See what book MK is featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've reminded me that I really need to continue this series. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this one, I hope you do too when you continue with the series!

      Delete