Friday 14 September 2018

Friday Excerpts: Heart of Mist by Helen Scheuerer

Today I'll be sharing some book excerpts with these bookish features:
Book Beginnings is a weekly feature (hosted by Rose City Reader) where you post the first sentence of the book you're currently reading. 
The Friday 56 is a weekly feature (hosted by Freda's Voice) where you get a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on ereader) then post a interesting sentence from that page with no spoilers. 

Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles book 1) by Helen Scheuerer



Blurb:

In a realm where toxic mist sweeps the lands and magic is forbidden, all Bleak wants is a cure for her power. 
Still grieving the death of her guardian and dangerously self-medicating with alcohol, Bleak is snatched from her home by the Commander of the King’s Army, and summoned to the capital. 
But the king isn’t the only one interested in Bleak’s powers. 
The leader of an infamous society of warriors, the Valia Kindred, lays claim to her as well, and Bleak finds herself in the middle of a much bigger battle than she anticipated.



Beginning:

PROLOGUE-
The branches of the canopy were like springs beneath the balls of her feet, making her lighter than air as she leapt from one tree to another, towards her freedom.


Friday 56 (Page 56):
Behind them, Felder's Bay and its turquoise waters had long since vanished from sight.


My Thoughts:
I already read Heart of Mist earlier this year and loved it, you can check out more of my thoughts in my review of it here.  Although I'm not currently reading Heart of Mist, I am currently reading the sequel to it called Reign of Mist.  It was just released and I haven't read much of it yet but I'm so excited to see where this series goes. 


Have you read Heart of Mist? What are your thoughts on the quotes from it? 

14 comments:

  1. The first sentence makes me wish I could do that. The cover is lovely, too.

    Hope you enjoy the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of this one and the cover too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a story I would enjoy. This week I am featuring Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful images in those lines. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SECRETS OF THE TULIP SISTERS”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great visual opening. I've not heard of this series before and now I'm curious:)

    My Friday 56 from The Monster Museum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it much before reading it either, which is a shame since it's such a great book!

      Delete
  6. I like the opening sentence but this is really my kind of book. See what we are featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. That beginning really pulled me in. She jumped from tree to tree?! Cool.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete