Friday 2 November 2018

October Wrap Up 2018

What I Read:


Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai book 1) by Tiana Warner - 4/5 STARS
Ice Massacre was a book I hadn't heard a lot about before going into it but I ended up really liking it.  I thought the story was very exciting, I'll be doing a full review of it soon. 

A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe (The Salvagers book 1) by Alex White - 4/5 STARS
This was another exciting read of the month.  The story was just as thrilling as the blurb made it seem and I thought the characters were all very interesting and had a lot of depth to them.   

The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw - 2/5 STARS
I was really disappointed in this book, I felt the plot and characters were very cliche and nothing really stood out.  I thought the three witch sisters didn't have much of a personality besides talking of the boys they liked.  I did think the ending was more interesting than the rest of the book but it still didn't make the story stand out to me. 

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle - 3/5 STARS
I loved Spellbook of the Lost and Found which I read earlier this year by the same author so I was excited to read this book but I ended up not enjoying it as much as that.  I did like the writing and the mysterious atmospheric vibe of the book but I felt the overall storyline fell a bit flat and I wasn't overly keen on the characters.  


My October Bookstagram pictures (xo_reader_kyla):



I had a bit of a mixed reading bag in October, I really liked two and was disappointed in the other two and I also ended up DNFing Toil & Trouble.  I did try to participate in the Spookathon but I didn't read as much as I planned to and I didn't really enjoy the books I did read for it.  But on the plus side I did have a productive month blogging wise in October.  I done a lot of spooky centric blog posts like: Scary Creatures in Books, Spooky Book Titles, Halloween Creatures 2.0 Book Tag and even did a DIY Spooky Harry Potter Themed Bookmarks post.  I also posted my review for What If It's Us by Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli as well. 
MUSIC - There were also a lot of great comebacks in October. Some of my favourites were: iKON - Goodbye Road, MONSTA X - Shoot Out, The Rose - She's In the Rain, RM - MONO, Stray Kids - I am YOU.    
TV - I also recently watched The Haunting of Hill House which was really good, it had a really great blend of scary and emotional aspects to it. 

What did you read, listen to or watch in October?  

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I think the best book I read in October was The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud. It was the perfect seasonal, spooky read.

    Eleanor | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that book before but the title sounds very intriguing!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I haven't seen that Mirage edition before. I can't quite decide which ones I like. I'm glad you enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House. I went in for the scares, but definitely stayed because I became invested in the family. Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same with The Haunting of Hill House, I thought it'd be a fun watch for Halloween then ended up being really emotionally invested in the characters!

      Delete