Thursday 18 October 2018

Book Review: What If It's Us by Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli

Book: What If It's Us
Author: Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli
Genre: YA Contemporary
(Edition: ARC/ Book Proof)

Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it. 
Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things. 
But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them? 
Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated. 
Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited. 
But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third? 
What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough? 
What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play? 
But what if it is?


My Rating: 3/5 STARS

My Review:
I've loved all of Adam Silvera's previous books, I haven't read any of Becky Albertalli books but I've heard only good things about them, so I was really excited to read What If It's Us but I was disappointed by it.

This book has a somewhat simple concept, it's about two boys who meet randomly and the obstacles they face having to meet up again.  I did enjoy this book at the beginning and I liked how Ben and Arthur met but as the book went on I kept waiting for something else to happen in the story.  And even at the end when things were happening, it all felt very over dramatised and the reactions of the characters felt the same.

I felt the same way about the characters as I did the storyline.  I liked them at the beginning but as the book went on I started to dislike them.  I felt their whole personality was based on just one thing and that made them feel a bit flat in my opinion, Arthur loved the theatre and Broadway so I found his actions and reactions to be overly dramatic and I felt the same way about Ben.  Ben had a bad break up and I felt that everything he said or did was geared around that break up.

The romance between Arthur and Ben became serious very quickly.  One minute they were on a cutesy funny first date then the next they were having a huge fight as if they had known each other for years.  And because of this I thought there was no real depth to their relationship.

I did really like the writing of this book.  It felt like such an easy book to read, I flew through the pages. 

Overall I have very mixed feelings on What If It's Us, I liked some parts and disliked other parts.  I liked the writing mainly but didn't feel attached to the characters that much.  Although I did find the ending predictable I did think it suited the book. 

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been hearing unusually mixed reactions to this book. Some people are saying they adored it; others are taking their dislike so far as to say they're so disappointed in it they'll never read Albertalli or Silvera again. Most, I think, are squarely in the middle, like you. I wasn't going to pick up this book, but the mixed reception has gotten me curious as to what I'd think of it!

    Eleanor | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do decide to pick it up, I hope you like it more than I did!

      Delete