Friday 5 October 2018

Friday Excerpts: Ice Massacre by Tiana Warner

Today I'll be sharing some book excerpts with these bookish features:
Book Beginnings is a weekly feature (hosted by Rose City Reader) where you post the first sentence of the book you're currently reading. 
The Friday 56 is a weekly feature (hosted by Freda's Voice) where you get a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on ereader) then post a interesting sentence from that page with no spoilers. 

Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai book 1) by Tiana Warner



Blurb:
A mermaid’s supernatural beauty serves one purpose: to lure a sailor to his death. 
The Massacre is supposed to bring peace to Eriana Kwai. Every year, the island sends its warriors to battle these hostile sea demons. Every year, the warriors fail to return. Desperate for survival, the island must decide on a new strategy. Now, the fate of Eriana Kwai lies in the hands of twenty battle-trained girls and their resistance to a mermaid’s allure. 
Eighteen-year-old Meela has already lost her brother to the Massacre, and she has lived with a secret that’s haunted her since childhood. For any hope of survival, she must overcome the demons of her past and become a ruthless mermaid killer. 
For the first time, Eriana Kwai’s Massacre warriors are female, and Meela must fight for her people’s freedom on the Pacific Ocean’s deadliest battleground.

Beginning:
CHAPTER ONE-
A mermaid hunter must be aggressive, bold, and, more importantly, nimble on her feet- because her feet are the only advantage she has over a mermaid.
That, and her iron crossbow. 


Friday 56 (page 56):
Nobody said anything as we followed the main road to the docks.  I wanted to ask questions, but something told me it was not the time.


My Thoughts:
I'm only around 30 percent through this book but I'm really liking it.  I hadn't heard much about it before but it sounded exciting and it's definitely living up to that.  Ice Massacre is about killer mermaids and is a great chilling read for this month which is why I put it on my Spooky October TBR.      



Have you read Ice Massacre? 
What are your thoughts on the quotes from it? 

21 comments:

  1. What a dark and dismal opening. I think I like mermaids, like Ariel, right? https://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2018/10/review-and-friday-quotes-we-rise-we.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the dark and dismal opening, it made me really intrigued!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great read. Hope you enjoy it. I'm featuring The Killing Lessons by Saul Black this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds intriguing...and great excerpts! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE DAY OF THE DEAD”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is new to me and sounds great. This week I am featuring A Crafter Knits a Clue by Holly Quinn from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at mermaid hunter. :-) I am grateful that you participate in my meme. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really fun premise. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mermaid with feet? Just trying to laugh at the hunter's life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this one, but I do like mermaid stories. That cover is beautiful, but also paints a not so great picture for said mermaids. hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need more mermaid stories in my life. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've only read a few of them but they've all been very interesting!

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh I read this a while ago and haven't seen anyone else talk about it! :D

    Rivalie @ Le Petit Photograph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that not many people know of it since it's a really great story!

      Delete