Friday 26 October 2018

Friday Excerpts: The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

Today I'll be sharing some book excerpts with these bookish features:
Book Beginnings is a weekly feature (hosted by Rose City Reader) where you post the first sentence of the book you're currently reading. 
The Friday 56 is a weekly feature (hosted by Freda's Voice) where you get a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on ereader) then post a interesting sentence from that page with no spoilers. 

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle



Blurb:
A bewitching, dark and beautiful debut novel about a girl living in the shadow of a mysterious curse. 
It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom. 
The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear. 
But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?

Beginning:
1. 
Elsie is in all my pictures.  I know this because I have looked through all the pictures of me and my family taken in the last seventeen years and she is in them all.


Friday 56 (pages 5 to 6):
Even her hair looks worried, somehow, when her head is turned.  That's quite an accomplishment.  I wonder what my hair looks like when my head is turned.


My Thoughts:
I'm only at the beginning of The Accident Season which is why my Friday 56 quote is from pages 5 to 6 but I'm excited to read more of it since I loved the author's other book, Spellbook of the Lost and Found.  I'm liking the writing a lot and I like how mysterious the book is so far.


Have you read The Accident Season? 
What are your thoughts on the quotes from it? 

14 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books and it's absolutely perfect for October. Great choice and happy reading:
    My 56: Mirage by Somaiya Daud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worried hair? Now I so want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read The Accident Season, but the blur sounds interesting. I'm going to add it to my TBR List.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one a couple of years ago. It is a perfect read for this time of year. I hope that you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love it as much as I hoped I would but I still really enjoyed the writing of it!

      Delete
  5. What an intriguing concept! This week I am spotlighting A True Cowboy Christmas by Caitlin Crews - from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm left wanting more!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one - I definitely need to read more from this author. :)
    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the author's other book, Spellbook of the Lost and Found!

      Delete